Sunday 16 September 2012

When friends come to play

As I've said before, I live out in Gippsland sort of in the country. So I basically live 3 hrs from Melbourne which is where my best friend, and most of my friends and family are located. So Friday night this best friend came to stay (godmother to my nearly 6 month old too) and have dinner and hang out. This was great and we had a ball... but how do you break the 'have a few wines and chat' scene which often happens with great friends? I had a low fat meal planned (Laksa so still yummy!) and had saved some calories for a glass of wine too... but being a great friend she had bought over dip and bickies and a bottle of wine and some other yum stuff too. Oh and our present from her recent trip to spain was an amazing bottle of tawny port from Porto! SO thoughtful cos we are into wine... anyway distracted.


So I had some of the dip etc while cooking, then had a couple of glasses of wine to be sociable, then had some port after the gift giving and it was delicious. Even through all my efforts I was still about 250cals over my daily limit. I think if i'd had anything less it would have almost been rude.. but in saying that - how did hanging out become something that required food and wine? Or is that something that has always been the case?



The next day I noted though, we drove about 1.5 hrs to a place for lunch looking over the ocean and I could just pick a soup for lunch and was well within my cals... so why is a friday night different to saturday? Does that mean I need to stick to meeting friends and family during the day where coffee and tea or a soup etc is acceptable? Can I avoid wines etc at night if we meet up? People are far more likely to say 'oh just have one its ok' at night rather than during the day.


Well 9 weeks left to go. 1/3 of the way through the 12 weeks. Will be sticking to lunches for a while I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment